February 21, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — HillsboroughCountyhomeowners have until March, 31, 2011, to apply for a Sinkhole Assistance Grant. The Grant is to provide qualified homeowners with financial assistance to recover from the damages of sinkhole impacts from January 2010 through March 2010, and to assist them in the maintenance and support of their families.
The maximum Grant award is $3,000, and only the property owner of record at the time of the sinkhole damage is eligible to receive assistance.
The application period started on Jan. 3, 2011, and runs through March 31, 2011. Applicants can pick up an application packet in person through the Hillsborough County Family & Aging Services Department at the Plant City Neighborhood Service Center, 307 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 2, in Plant City. They can also apply by calling (813) 757-3871, ext. 201.
To qualify, the applicant must have a qualifying property that is:
- Zoned to allow a single family residence on which has been constructed a single family residence.
- Located within Hillsborough County.
- Has been documented to have suffered sinkhole damage to the property and/or structure during the months of January 2010 through March 2010.
The applicant must also provide specific documentation, such as, but is not limited to:
- Ownership of the qualifying property at the time the damage occurred.
- An estimate of the cost to assess or repair sinkhole damage prepared by a professional engineer or licensed and qualified contractor.
- Property Tax bill for 2010 tax year.
The Sinkhole Assistance Grant was approved by Board policy in a Sept. 2010 regular Board of County Commissioners meeting.
For questions regarding grant qualifying documentation, call Stephen Gran, Hillsborough County Manager, Agriculture Industry Development at (813) 272-5506.
For media use only:
Stephen Gran, Agricultural Industry Development Program Manager
Economic Development Department