TAVARES, FL – July 25, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — The Lake County Parks & Trails Division is set to open three public land properties beginning July 26 for passive recreation. The properties include Ellis Acres Reserve, located off County Road 42 in Paisley; The Pasture Reserve, located off Lake Erie Road in South Lake; and Lake May Reserve located off County Road 44A in Eustis.
All of the properties will be open daily from dawn to dusk. Each of the largely undeveloped reserves offer scenic views of picturesque landscapes and feature unpaved hiking and biking trails and small low-impact parking lots. A variety of Florida native plants, birds and other wildlife can be found on the properties due to the diverse habitats that each offer. Persons who visit the reserves and who will be hiking the trails are encouraged to wear appropriate clothing for the weather, and to bring water, insect repellent, and items for sun protection, such as a hat and sunscreen. Because the trails located on the properties might include uneven or unstable terrain, hikers are encouraged to wear appropriate footwear.
The properties were all acquired by the County through the Public Lands Management program established in September 2005. In 2004, Lake County voters approved a public-lands referendum that called for up to an additional one-third millage for the acquisition and improvement of land to protect drinking water, improve water quality of rivers and lakes, protect open space and provide passive recreation areas. To date, more than 2,000 acres have been acquired through the Public Lands Management Program.
Much of the time-intensive land-restoration work that has been accomplished so far includes uprooting non-native plant species and planting native vegetation, but restoration efforts and enhancements are still underway on all of the properties.
Future recreation opportunities at all of the reserves include picnic areas. Both Ellis Acres and Lake May Reserves are slated to have canoe launches, and The Pasture Reserve will add primitive camping and wildlife observation areas. Lake May Reserve will also feature catch and release fishing.
For more information about the Public Lands Management program, call the Lake County Parks & Trails Division at (352) 253-4950, email parksandtrails (at) lakecountyfl (dot) gov or log on to www.lakecountyfl.gov/parks.
Lake County media contact:
Information Outreach Director
Office: (352) 343-9603; Cell: (352) 455-0445
klafollette (at) lakecountyfl (dot) gov
- Naturally gifted: Ferndale Preserve opens to the public
FERNDALE, FL - November 23, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) -- The Lake County Parks & Trails Division announced this month that it is opening to the public the 192-acre Ferndale Preserve, which is located off County Road 455 in South Lake County, after several years of making improvements to the purchased property....
- Lake County Realtors, lending institutions invited to meeting about Neighborhood Stabilization Program
TAVARES, FL - August 17, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) -- Lake County and its partners in the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) are meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 1, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Lake County Agricultural Center, located at 1951 Woodlea Road in Tavares, with realtors and lending institutions in Lake County to discuss up-to-date information on NSP and...
- REMINDER: County Commissioners to host comp plan workshops beginning with South Lake on Monday
TAVARES, FL - November 2, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) -- The Lake County Board of County Commissioners is hosting three public workshops on Nov. 2, 5 & 9 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. to give stakeholders — residents, property owners, business owners, municipalities and other local and regional entities — an opportunity to voice concerns, questions and suggestions about the proposed...
- Lake County Launches GO GREEN GET GREEN Rebate Program
TAVARES, FL - July 6, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- The Lake County Board of County Commissioners launched today, the GO GREEN GET GREEN energy efficiency rebate program for Lake County small commercial business owners and residents. Participants who GO GREEN by installing energy efficient products can GET GREEN through the new rebate program funded by an Energy Efficiency and Conservation...
- Lake County Extension promotes two upcoming programs
TAVARES, FL - February 25, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) — The Lake County Cooperative Extension is promoting two upcoming educational programs, “Integrated Pest Management Update” on Wednesday, March 4, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and “Greenhouse and Nursery Financial Program for Hard Economic Times” on Tuesday, March 10, from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m...
- Attorney General Pam Bondi Announces New Procedures Banks Must Follow to Help Distressed Homeowners Seeking Relief Under National Mortgage Settlement
- House Passes One-Year Extension of Mortgage Debt Forgiveness Tax Relief
- CBRE SELLS LANDMARK WELLS FARGO CENTER OFFICE TOWER IN DOWNTOWN TAMPA
- Edward Redlich elected as President of SIOR Florida Chapter
- CBRE ARRANGES $26.5 MILLION SALE OF SINGLE-TENANT PROPERTY OCCUPIED BY KAPLAN UNIVERSITY IN ORLANDO, FL
- CFO Atwater Announces Arrest of Miami Bail Bondsman on Grand Theft Charges
- Martinez Announces First-Time Homebuyer Forum in Miami
- Attorney General Hosts Second Miami Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Martinez Hosts Homeownership Preservation Forum for Residents In Manatee & Sarasota Counties
- Attorney General, Florida Interagency Mortgage Task Force Host Broward Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Attorney General McCollum Hosts South Florida Community Forum on Housing Issue
- Florida Interagency Mortgage Task Force Hosts Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Attorney General Hosts Central Florida Community Forum on Housing Issues
- The Conference Board: Consumer Confidence Index down
- FLORIDA PARTNERSHIP RECEIVES $1,000,000 AFFORDABLE HOUSING PRESERVATION GRANT AWARD FROM THE MACARTHUR FOUNDATION
- Sinking dollar gives foreigners ‘upper hand’