TALLAHASSEE, FL – September 20, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater today announced the 2011 Unclaimed Property Auction held on Saturday in Ponte Vedra Beach was the third highest-grossing auction in the 50-year history of Florida’s unclaimed property program, drawing about 350 attendees, including 205 bidders, and raising $1.09 million for Florida’s public schools.The auction, held at the Sawgrass Marriott, also produced the highest-ever sales percentage above reserve at 338.62 percent.
“The auction was a huge success, and I thank everyone who put the auction together and those who attended and placed bids,” said CFO Atwater. “The department holds about $1 billion in unclaimed cash and property, and I encourage Floridians to frequently check for items we may be holding. It is our goal to give back to Floridians what rightfully belongs to them.”
CFO Atwater opened as guest auctioneer, selling several featured items such as a gold Elgin pocket watch, a Native American belt with 200 grams of silver, a vintage Leica camera, and a personal, hand-written letter, signed by Sherlock Holmes author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. All of the auctioned items were from abandoned safe deposit boxes at Florida banks.
Unclaimed money, along with earnings from the auction, is deposited into the state school fund, where it is used for public education. There is, however, no statute of limitations, and citizens have the right to claim their property, or the earnings derived from their abandoned property, any time at no cost.
During Jeff Atwater’s tenure as CFO, the department has returned record amounts to citizens, with more than $134 million this calendar year alone. The Bureau of Unclaimed Property returned $189.32 million in Fiscal Year 2010-2011—the largest amount in state history, with a record $24.7 million in the month of June. Since the program’s inception 50 years ago, the Bureau of Unclaimed Property has successfully reunited owners or relatives of deceased owners with more than $2.2 billion in unclaimed property.
To look for or claim unclaimed property, visit www.FLTreasureHunt.org, or call 1-88-VALUABLE or 850-413-3089.
Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater, a statewide elected official and officer of the Florida Cabinet, oversees the Department of Financial Services including the Division of Insurance Fraud. CFO Atwater’s priorities include fighting financial fraud, abuse and waste in government, reducing government spending and regulatory burdens that chase away businesses, and providing transparency and accountability in spending.
- CFO Atwater Announces State Unclaimed Property Auction
TALLAHASSEE, Fl - September 12, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater today announced that Florida will hold the annual unclaimed property auction on Saturday, Sept. 17, in Ponte Vedra Beach at the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. The auction, which is open to the public, will feature more than 37,000 individual items, including jewelry, watches...
- SOLD! CFO SINK’S UNCLAIMED PROPERTY AUCTION NETS RECORD $1.24 MILLION
TALLAHASSEE, FL - October 27, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) -- Florida CFO Alex Sink’s Bureau of Unclaimed Property continued its record-setting pace this weekend by netting over $1.24 million at the annual Unclaimed Property Auction held Saturday in Ft. Lauderdale. This is the most ever garnered by Florida’s Bureau of Unclaimed Property at the annual auction. CFO Sink’s push in the...
- CFO Jeff Atwater’s Division of Consumer Services Expands Spanish-Speaking Assistance to Unclaimed Property Helpline
TALLAHASSEE, FL - July 7, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater announced today that he is expanding the availability of Spanish-speaking staff to the Department of Financial Services’ Unclaimed Property Helpline....
- CFO Jeff Atwater Announces the Arrest of Mortgage Company Owner in $1.2 Million Scam
TALLAHASSEE, FL - April 27, 2011 - (RealEstateRama) -- Florida CFO Jeff Atwater today announced the arrest of Jose Claudio Pereira, owner of BR Mortgage Group Corporation, on charges of racketeering for his part in fraudulent mortgage transactions in Broward, St. Lucie and Brevard counties....
- GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, SOLD: FT. LAUDERDALE LANDS STATEWIDE UNCLAIMED PROPERTY AUCTION THIS FALL
TALLAHASSEE, FL - August 3, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) -- Florida CFO Alex Sink today announced plans for her Bureau of Unclaimed Property’s Statewide Auction, an annual sell-off of unclaimed safe deposit box contents turned over to the state. The auction, which is open to the public, will be held October 24, 2009, in Ft. Lauderdale at the Embassy Suites Hotel....
- Attorney General Pam Bondi Announces New Procedures Banks Must Follow to Help Distressed Homeowners Seeking Relief Under National Mortgage Settlement
- Public Works urges citizens to protect their property from flooding hazards
- Community-development conference kicks off in Orlando; 2,100 professionals, $1.84 million in economic impact expected
- SOUTH FLORIDA MULTIFAMILY MARKET CHARTS RECORD SALES
- CBRE HOTELS SELLS THE COMFORT INN UNIVERSITY GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA
- Tampa Law Firm Sued for Mortgage Rescue Scam
- Martinez Announces First-Time Homebuyer Forum in Miami
- Attorney General Hosts Second Miami Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Martinez Hosts Homeownership Preservation Forum for Residents In Manatee & Sarasota Counties
- Attorney General, Florida Interagency Mortgage Task Force Host Broward Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Attorney General McCollum Hosts South Florida Community Forum on Housing Issue
- Florida Interagency Mortgage Task Force Hosts Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Attorney General Hosts Central Florida Community Forum on Housing Issues
- The Conference Board: Consumer Confidence Index down
- FLORIDA PARTNERSHIP RECEIVES $1,000,000 AFFORDABLE HOUSING PRESERVATION GRANT AWARD FROM THE MACARTHUR FOUNDATION
- Sinking dollar gives foreigners ‘upper hand’