TALLAHASSEE, Fl – September 12, 2011 – (RealEstateRama) — Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater today announced that Florida will hold the annual unclaimed property auction on Saturday, Sept. 17, in Ponte Vedra Beach at the Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa. The auction, which is open to the public, will feature more than 37,000 individual items, including jewelry, watches and rare coins, with a minimum reserve value in excess of $327,000.
In the first seven months of this year, CFO Atwater’s Bureau of Unclaimed Property has paid 176,000 claims, totaling more than $134 million, including a record $24.7 million in June alone.
“I encourage all Floridians to visit www.FLTreasureHunt.org to see what property they may have waiting,” said CFO Atwater. “I am especially proud that in these tough economic times, our Bureau of Unclaimed Property has been able to return record amounts through a diligent, proactive, and business-like approach to seeking owners and responding to citizens.”
Featured auction items include gold and diamond watches, gold U.S. coins, South African Krugerrands, a Native American belt with 200 grams of silver, a vintage Leica camera, and an 11.4 carat solitaire amethyst ring with a matching 15.3 carat solitaire amethyst pendant necklace. These items were turned over to the Bureau after being recovered from abandoned safe deposit boxes.
A free catalog, along with details about the auction, is available at www.FLTreasurehunt.org. Participation in the auction is open to the public, but requires registration and a refundable $100 deposit. A public preview of all items will be held Friday, Sept.16. Unclaimed money, along with earnings from the auction, is deposited into the state school fund, where it is used for public education. There is, however, no statute of limitations, and citizens have the right to claim their property, or the earnings derived from their abandoned property, any time at no cost.
During Jeff Atwater’s tenure as CFO, the Bureau of Unclaimed Property has seen record returns, reuniting owners, heirs and businesses with more than one-third of all money returned since the beginning of the program, due largely to aggressive efforts to contact owners. The Bureau of Unclaimed Property returned $189.32 million in unclaimed property for the 2010-2011 Fiscal Year—the largest amount in state history. Since the program’s inception 48 years ago, the Bureau of Unclaimed Property has successfully reunited owners or relatives of deceased owners with more than $2.2 billion in unclaimed property.
To look for or claim unclaimed property, visit www.FLTreasureHunt.org, or call 1-88-VALUABLE or 850-413-3089.
Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater, a statewide elected official and officer of the Florida Cabinet, oversees the Department of Financial Services including the Division of Insurance Fraud. CFO Atwater’s priorities include fighting financial fraud, abuse and waste in government, reducing government spending and regulatory burdens that chase away businesses, and providing transparency and accountability in spending.
- SOLD! CFO SINK’S UNCLAIMED PROPERTY AUCTION NETS RECORD $1.24 MILLION
TALLAHASSEE, FL - October 27, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) -- Florida CFO Alex Sink’s Bureau of Unclaimed Property continued its record-setting pace this weekend by netting over $1.24 million at the annual Unclaimed Property Auction held Saturday in Ft. Lauderdale. This is the most ever garnered by Florida’s Bureau of Unclaimed Property at the annual auction. CFO Sink’s push in the...
- GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, SOLD: FT. LAUDERDALE LANDS STATEWIDE UNCLAIMED PROPERTY AUCTION THIS FALL
TALLAHASSEE, FL - August 3, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) -- Florida CFO Alex Sink today announced plans for her Bureau of Unclaimed Property’s Statewide Auction, an annual sell-off of unclaimed safe deposit box contents turned over to the state. The auction, which is open to the public, will be held October 24, 2009, in Ft. Lauderdale at the Embassy Suites Hotel....
- CFO SINK’S UNCLAIMED PROPERTY BUREAU DELIVERS $19.7 MILLION IN MARCH, SETTING STATE RECORD
TALLAHASSEE, FL - April 13, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) — Florida Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink’s Bureau of Unclaimed Property announced that last month marked the largest amount of unclaimed property returned to owners recorded in state history, totaling over $19.7 million. So far this fiscal year (July 1, 2008 through March 31, 2009) unclaimed property payments have totaled $132.3 million,...
- CFO SINK’S UNCLAIMED PROPERTY BUREAU DELIVERS $22 MILLION IN FEBRUARY, SETTING STATE RECORD
TALLAHASSEE, FL - March 8, 2010 - (RealEstateRama) -- Florida CFO Alex Sink's Bureau of Unclaimed Property today announced that last month marked the largest amount of unclaimed property returned to owners recorded in state history, totaling over $22 million. So far this fiscal year (July 1, 2009 through March 8, 2010) unclaimed property payments have totaled $121.4 million, with...
- CFO Sink’s Unclaimed Property Bureau Sets New State Record, Wins National Award
TALLAHASSEE, FL - April 8, 2010 - (RealEstateRama) -- Florida CFO Alex Sink’s Bureau of Unclaimed Property today announced that last month over $22.4 million in unclaimed property was returned to owners – the biggest return in state history. In February, the Bureau returned a record-setting $22 million, which has now been surpassed by the March record...
- Attorney General Pam Bondi Announces New Procedures Banks Must Follow to Help Distressed Homeowners Seeking Relief Under National Mortgage Settlement
- With Passage of H.R. 3370, Floridians Can Rest a Little Easier
- CFO Jeff Atwater Helps Return More Than $253 Million to Consumers in 2013
- Florida Man to Serve 13 Months for Defrauding Thousands of Homeowners in $4 Million Home Loan Modification Scam
- Two Florida Men Sentenced for Defrauding Thousands of Homeowners in $4 Million Nationwide Home Loan Modification Scam
- Lee & Associates Brokers $7.65 Million Sale of Atrium Tower Office Facility in Orlando
- Martinez Announces First-Time Homebuyer Forum in Miami
- Attorney General Hosts Second Miami Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Martinez Hosts Homeownership Preservation Forum for Residents In Manatee & Sarasota Counties
- Attorney General, Florida Interagency Mortgage Task Force Host Broward Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Attorney General McCollum Hosts South Florida Community Forum on Housing Issue
- Florida Interagency Mortgage Task Force Hosts Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Attorney General Hosts Central Florida Community Forum on Housing Issues
- The Conference Board: Consumer Confidence Index down
- FLORIDA PARTNERSHIP RECEIVES $1,000,000 AFFORDABLE HOUSING PRESERVATION GRANT AWARD FROM THE MACARTHUR FOUNDATION
- Sinking dollar gives foreigners ‘upper hand’