Bipartisan Bill Will Modify Homebuyer Tax Credit for Overseas Military Personnel
Washington, DC – October 8, 2009 – (RealEstateRama) — Congresswoman Suzanne Kosmas (FL-24) voted in favor of the Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act (H.R. 3590), which will make changes to home-buying provisions in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to benefit active-duty servicemen and women currently, or soon to be, deployed overseas. The bipartisan legislation passed by a vote of 416-0.
The legislation will extend for one year, to December 1, 2010, the deadline for taking advantage of the first-time homebuyer credit of up to $8,000 for qualifying service members, so that certain service members stationed overseas can take advantage of the credit when they return. It will also ensure service members will not have to repay the first-time home buyer credit if they are ordered to deploy to a different location and, as a result, forced to sell their home within three years of buying it.
“Our men and women in uniform have made great sacrifices to defend our country and it is only fair that they be able to take advantage of the same benefits as those here at home,” said Congresswoman Kosmas. “This common-sense legislation will help our troops who have been stationed or deployed overseas to purchase a home when they return and, at the same time, protect those who are redeployed from financial hardship.”
The bill will make certain payments under the Defense Housing Assistance Program (HAP) tax exempt to assist military personnel selling a home that has declined in value if they are forced to relocate.
The Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act is supported by the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Military Officers Association of America, National Military Family Association, American Foreign Service Association, National Association of Home Builders, and National Association of Realtors
- Mack Votes to Extend Homebuyer Tax Credit for Servicemembers
WASHINGTON, DC - October 8, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) -- Congressman Connie Mack (FL-14) praised unanimous passage of legislation in the House of Representatives today that will extend the $8,000 first-time homebuyer tax credit for one year for qualifying U.S. servicemen and women....
- Kosmas Applauds Signing of Helping Families Save Their Homes Act
Legislation Will Help Address Central Florida’s Foreclosure Crisis. Washington, DC - May 21, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) — Today, Congresswoman Suzanne Kosmas (FL-24) applauded the signing of H.R. 1106 (S.896), the Helping Families Save Their Homes Act. The legislation will help protect thousands of Central Florida homeowners by providing important tools and incentives for lenders, servicers, and homeowners to modify loans...
- Florida Realtors® Support Push to Advance Homebuyer Tax Credit Aid
ORLANDO, FL - April 07, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) — Finding a way to turn a new $8,000 federal tax credit for first-time homebuyers into money that they can use right away for a downpayment would spark the recovery of Florida’s housing market and boost the state’s economy, says Cynthia Shelton, 2009 president of the Florida Association of Realtors® (FAR)....
- REP. BROWN-WAITE’S LEGISLATION TO PROTECT VETERAN MORTGAGE BENEFITS PASSES U.S. HOUSE
Brown-Waite Bill Included as Part of Broader Veteran Benefit Measure Washington, D.C. – September 16 - (RealEstateRama) — U.S. Representative Ginny Brown-Waite (FL-05) today announced that H.R. 6832, the Veterans’ Construction and Extensions Act, passed the House late last week on a bipartisan voice vote. In addition to other veteran related issues, H.R. 6832 included Rep. [...]...
- Hastings Introduces Legislation to Address Chronic Homelessness Nationwide
Washington, DC - September 23, 2009 - (RealEstateRama) -- Today, Congressman Alcee L. Hastings (D-Miramar) introduced the Support for Ending Long-Term Homelessness Act of 2009. This bill will establish a grant program to provide permanent supportive housing for chronically homeless individuals and families that have needs not addressed by traditional affordable housing. The companion bill has been introduced in the...
- Attorney General Pam Bondi Announces New Procedures Banks Must Follow to Help Distressed Homeowners Seeking Relief Under National Mortgage Settlement
- CFO Atwater Announces Arrest of Miami Bail Bondsman on Grand Theft Charges
- Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson Hosts Town Hall Meeting Tonight to Address Escalating Violent Crime at a Miami-Dade County Housing Project
- Cheryl Howell, Housing Services Manager, receives Timex Award for public service dedication
- FOUR PRIME RETAIL TENANTS SIGN ON AT DOWNTOWN FT. LAUDERDALE MIXED-USE DEVELOPMEN
- Congressman Garcia Invites FEMA Senior Leadership Team to His District for a Conversation on the National Flood Insurance Program
- Martinez Announces First-Time Homebuyer Forum in Miami
- Attorney General Hosts Second Miami Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Martinez Hosts Homeownership Preservation Forum for Residents In Manatee & Sarasota Counties
- Attorney General, Florida Interagency Mortgage Task Force Host Broward Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Attorney General McCollum Hosts South Florida Community Forum on Housing Issue
- Florida Interagency Mortgage Task Force Hosts Community Forum on Housing Issues
- Attorney General Hosts Central Florida Community Forum on Housing Issues
- The Conference Board: Consumer Confidence Index down
- FLORIDA PARTNERSHIP RECEIVES $1,000,000 AFFORDABLE HOUSING PRESERVATION GRANT AWARD FROM THE MACARTHUR FOUNDATION
- Sinking dollar gives foreigners ‘upper hand’